Thursday, September 13, 2007

Buon Compleanno!





Yesterday was my birthday! Tuesday night, I went out for pizza with all of my host families, and my Rotary counselor. All of my families seem really nice, and welcoming. I'm very lucky to have such nice people willing to host me. At dinner, I talked with my host siblings, while the adults talked about their responsibilites, and Rotary rules. The pizza was delicious, and I was stuffed by the end of the evening.

The next day, (my birthday) I went to school as usual. Everyone kept saying "Auguri!" (I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling) and kissing both my cheeks. One of the girls in the class had written "Buon Compleanno!" in huge letters on the chalkboard. School carried on as usual, until the last period. We had English that day, and Sra. Luccini came in with two students who had just come back to Italy from the US. One had stayed in Los Angeles, the other in Savannah. We went out in the hallway and talked about experiences, the US, and my exchange so far. When I got back into the classroom, the students had prepared a surprise party for me! I honestly wasn't expecting anything, and I was thrilled! Some of the girls in the class had prepared Italian confections, and other people brought in drinks and cookies. It was perfect! Again, I'm really lucky to be surrounded by such nice, caring people!

When I got home, my family had lunch and a birthday pastry. The best way to describe it is giant cream puffs covered in chocolate mousse. It was fantastic! My host family got me a really cute purse. It's green, this season's "it" color.

All in all, even though I missed my family and friends, I had a perfect birthday!

3 comments:

Emily Knack said...

omg HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
i cant believe ur gone i hope u r having a blast and by reading all ur blog thingys it sounds like u r. u need some pics with u in them. btw we still use ur house in the mornings haha actually its ur front step
sounds soooo much fun i wish i could be there life here is kinda boring as usual
gosh ur school days sounds like fun making the teachers do all the walking i wish they did that here my backpack is getting really heavy. hows the language barrier is it getting better? do u take lessons still or r u learning by ear? man u r soooooooo lucky! i cant even remember italy
that pizza in the picture looks so good great now u made me hungry

~emily~

Uncle Greg said...

Great commentary.
Happy belated Birthday.
Aunt Laura and I are thinking of you.

shbpbabe12 said...

Aww I hope you are having fun!! I miss seeing you!! Idaline seems to be doing fine. Eat some yummy italian food for me!