Thursday, October 18, 2007

Finally, the internet is back!

Our internet has been down for the past few days. Actually, we got it back yesterday, but I just couldn't find the gumption to actually sign in to my blog, and try to describe my whole weekend, upload pictures, and be witty all at the same time.

And today, I was busy with other things. Imagine! Me, busy! My life in Italy has been far from busy, but today, I actually had things to do! I got home from from school, made myself a nutella panino (as Marta would say, "oh, la miseria!") and proceeded to enjoy all of its caloric goodness. I wrote a few emails, as there were 11, yes 11 emails!, in my inbox, and then decided to do some shopping. There's a grocery store down the street, and we were out of apples, the kind of yogurt I like, and sliced bread. I walked to the grocery store, bought the previously listed items, and also things I needed to make a chocolate torte. I'm not entirely sure how the prices of food here compare to that in the U.S., but I got 4 eggs for 50 cents. Is that good? I know water is cheaper here. I got a huge, and I mean huge, bottle of water for 16 cents. Also, the store sells those really good Ritter Sport chocolate bars for 79 cents.. That might be a problem for me! While I was in the store, I ran into one of my teachers. It wasn't too awkward, but I didn't stick around to chat. I paid for my things and walked home.

It took me a while to make the chocolate torte. Here, we don't have a lot of useful kitchen tools, like a double boiler, or a Kitchen Aid, and I have to do all of my mixing by hand. By the time I leave here, I'm going to have a very strong right arm. I made the cake, put it in the oven, and forgot about it. About 10 minutes after I was supposed to take it out of the oven, I remembered it. It was a little overcooked, but still edible. While the torte cooled, I tried to whip up some cream to top it with. Whipping cream with a whisk is tiring, but in the end, worth it! It was tasty, although I think I added too much powdered sugar. Together, the torte and cream were delicious. I think I'll make it again for my host sister's 20th birthday, which is coming up!

After my afternoon of cooking, I cleaned the kitchen, and did some studying. Yes, here I actually have to study, even though the only thing I'm required to do in school is Italian. That'll change soon, as I'm changing my schedule. I'll start attending math and science, and maybe Italian literature classes with the 1st and 2nd year students, who are 14 and 15 years old. We'll see how that goes.

Today, I read one of the other American exchange student's blog. She updates every day, and I think I might try to do the same. I don't know, though, her style of writing is so different from mine. She can take things that would be boring if I wrote about them, and make them funny! Oh, Kristen, how I envy you and your writing talent. If anyone is interested in reading her blog, it's destinationfurther.blogspot.com.

Well, considering it's 10:30 here, and I have yet to shower, I'd best be off! I'll be sure to post tomorrow, though, along with pictures!

1 comment:

La Garibaldina said...

Wow, I am truly honored by your link.

Well, I think I'm free just about every weekend until about Thursday or Friday of that week. So as long as you contact me prior to then, I'm good. I'm always up for doing something obscene, intrepid, or obscenely intrepid. But if we get mixed up with the mafia and you're depending on me, we're going to either end up as mafia members or shot. Just a warning.