Sunday, October 21, 2007

No, I would NOT like a ride!

Last night I went to Mass, so this morning I got to sleep in! It was fantastic. I was awoken by my cell phone ringing, it was my Nonna. She was calling to "invite" me to lunch. "Invite" because she told me that she and Nonno were going out to lunch, and they'd come to pick me up at 12:30, so I should be ready then. Ok!

After speaking with my Nonna, I got out of bed and had breakfast in my PJs. My host family went to Alba today, and left early this morning. I cleaned up the kitchen, and got dressed and ready for i Nonni to pick me up. We went to a restaurant in a small town. They ordered for me, and the food was fantastic! I had fish in white wine sauce, and fried zucchini. Italy has turned me into a zucchini lover. I don't know how they do it, but they make zucchini fantastic! The grandparents dropped me off at home, and I did a little bit of studying.

During lunch, Nonna told me that there was a market in town today, and I decided to check it out. While walking there, a car beeped at me. This is a fairly normal occurance in Italy, along with staring, whistling, shouting, and the occasional blown kiss. All those stories you hear about how Italian men behave around blondes are true. Well, the person who beeped at me was particularly bold: he pulled over, and asked if I wanted a ride. I pretended not to understand, but he made a beckoning motion, so I just said no. He said "sei bella!" and drove away. Now, I know that it's normal for Italian guys to do stuff like that, but please. A few weeks ago, I had two men, who were at least mid 30s ask me out for coffee. Ew. The attention got really old, really fast. So much so that I'm seriously considering dying my hair brown!

The market in the center was nice, and fairly big. There was a lot of furniture, along with paintings, knick-knacks, carpets, jewelry, and food. Cheese, honey, jams, you name it. I bought 2 scarfs, one for me (Nonna told me I had to wear one. She's concerned I'll get a cold!) and the other as a gift for my older sister. Her birthday is coming up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting life you are leading --- your grandfather e-mailed us your blog --- it is so exciting (you really paint a picture -- it's like being there) -- what a wonderful opportunity being a foreign exchange student in a country as beautiful at Italy -- be sure to see all the sights you can! Will look forward to reading more about your adventures --- I believe the phone lady was a crook!!!

Brian & Jerry Ann O'Donnell