Sunday, February 17, 2008

Italian Gospel Choirs?

Some girls from school and I had discussed having dinner at my house Saturday night, but nobody could get a ride.

I was afraid all tentative plans would fall through completely, and I would spent yet another Saturday night at home. Miraculously, everything turned out almost perfectly, although none of the plans we had made actually ended up happening.

Here's what I did Saturday night:

First, I went to Mass. After mass, I ran home (literally) so that I wouldn't be late for my dinner appointment with Mari. My host parents and I left 2 minutes before I was supposed to be at the restaurant, and halfway there, Marco realized he had forgotten the bottle of wine at home. (They were going to a friend's for dinner.) I ended up being 15 minutes late anyways, but it was no big deal.

Mari and I had chosen to go to the "Fabbrica della Pizza" or "Pizza Factory" for dinner. Feeling adventurous, I forwent (is that a word?) the usual pizza margherita for a prosciutto-mozzerella-grana padano calzone.

This, my friend, is a calzone. It was practically the length of my arm! The crust was light, but it was stuffed with prosciutto, and boy, was I hungry!

After we both polished off our meals, we walked to the theater to see a gospel concert. There, we met Fede, another girl from school. We ran into the English teacher as well.

The choir itself wasn't too bad, but I've had Lara Brittain as a choir director, so I know top-quality when I see it! They sang one song in Italian, the rest were in English. Aside from gospel, they also sang "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Somebody to Love" I took a video of Bohemian Rhapsody, but blogger won't let me upload it for some reason. Both renditions were entertaining, but nobody can ever come close to the real Freddie Mercury! The choir director was tall and skinny, and it was worth the 12 euros just to see him jumping around the stage like a madman. I enjoyed the concert, but it really made me miss Concert Choir at Forest Park.

The concert ended at about 11:15, and Mari and Fede and I hung out in the theatre to chat. When the theater's lights started to turn off, we walked to Fede's house and chatted some more, until my host parents came to pick me up.

I went to bed happy, having thoroughly enjoyed an evening out on the town with two of my classmates.. two of my friends, rather.

No comments: