Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter in Italy

This evening, my host family and I will depart for our home in the mountains, so I won't be able to post until after Easter.

Now, I figured I'd write about Italian Easter traditions, just like I have with every other Italian holiday, but here's the kicker: there are none. At least, that's what my host family told me.

We were eating dinner the other evening, and I asked what we would do to celebrate Easter. "Nothing" was the reply that came from my host mom. Then she continued with "well, some people buy chocolate eggs, but that's only for the kids."

And that was the end of the discussion.

Needless to say, I was a bit shocked. I hadn't even thought that there might not be a basket full of jelly beans waiting for me when I woke up. Not only would there be no basket, no marshmellow peeps, no Reese's peanut butter eggs, but there would be no chocolate bunny. What is Easter without a chocolate bunny?

Yes, I realize that Easter is not all about the candy, it's about the ressurection of Our Lord. Knowing that, I will be happy and thankful, and celebrate the day.

But dang it, I will buy myself one of those chocolate eggs.

Happy Easter, everyone!

No comments: