Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Greatest Game Ever Played

That's a movie title, and the movie is about golfing.

Which is what I did today.

On this exchange, I've done so many things that I never dreamed I'd have the opportunity to do. I've strolled around Milan at night by myself, I've stood upon the Pont du Gard, I've eaten eclairs in a French cafe. And I've gone golfing.

Yesterday, Alberto called me and asked if I wanted to go do something near Lago Maggiore. The TV was on, and I was trying to turn down the volume, so I didn't exactly hear everything he said. I did understand that he was inviting me to go someplace with him, but unfortunately I had already made plans for that evening. "No worries," Alberto said, "I might go tomorrow, too. I'll call you again later."

This morning, half an hour after I woke up, my phone rang. It was Alberto, saying if I wanted to go with him, he'd be by to pick me up at noon. Which meant I had half an hour to get washed, dressed, and made up. Crud.

Somehow, I managed to be ready just as Alberto rang the bell. I grabbed the keys, told my host brothers I was leaving, and was off to Lago Maggiore. Or so I thought.

It turned out we were going golfing near Lago Maggiore. I did see the Lago, though, from the car window.

Alberto explained that we were going to Italy's nicest golf club, designed by a famous American who is now dead. We arrived at the club, ate lunch overlooking part of the golf course (which was actually really beautiful-- all green and lush and manicured, with little ponds and men in plaid pants walking around) and then Alberto went to change his shoes. I assumed he would be golfing, and I would be standing off on the sidelines somewhere. But then, as we passed the place where all of the caddies were stored, Albert said "Wait a minute. I'll go get some of my wife's clubs."

Oh, dear. There's only one reason Alberto would get his wife's clubs: so I could play, too.

First, we went to the driving range. After several minutes of Alberto trying to show me how to hold the club right, I took a swing. And completely missed the ball. I tried again, and took a chunk out of the ground. Finally, I actually hit the ball, and it when flying off at an angle. Alberto was satisfied, and he left me to continue practicing.

After a little while, a group of small children came onto the driving range, so Alberto and I went to practice putting. I'm glad to report that putting went much better than driving did. Alberto and I had a small putting competition, and I won 2 out of 5 times! When we had finished putting, we went to practice hitting out of the sand. I just watched.

Alberto played a couple of holes, while I pulled the caddy. It was a beautiful day, the air was fresh and smelled faintly of flowers, and I enjoyed Alberto's company. So thanks, Alberto, for the lovely afternoon!

1 comment:

Maria (also Bia) said...

My husband would be so, so jealous! When we were in Tuscany he very much wanted to golf at a course that was nearby, but family obligations prevented otherwise. It was his dream to return home and say that he had golfed in Italy. Maybe next time we go . . .