Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pancakes and Peanut Butter

The pancake party I had been planning was postponed time and time again. Today, after much planning and organizing, a group of 27 Italians ingested several varieties of cakes (made by them) peanut butter and jelly and peanut butter and banana sandwhiches, and pancakes with syrup.

A while back, the prof who suggested this party made fun of me for liking peanut butter and banana sandwhiches. Naturally, I made her one. I handed her the tinfoil-wrapped sandwhich, which she opened with a look of terror in her eyes. She ripped off a tiny piece, took a bite, chewed slowly, swallowed and said "Well. It's not awful." Then she ate the rest. I gloated.

Several other Italian children raved about the peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. I don't know why, but that gives me a huge sense of accomplishment.

The pancakes were by far the biggest hit. I made them this morning, and the nice lady at the school's bar stuck them in the oven to warm up, and several hungry Italian boys eyed them. Most of the kids in the class ate them plain, because somebody forgot to bring forks. The braver kids dipped pieces of pancake in maple syrup, and everyone asked for the recipe.

As I walked back to class after returning a tray to the bar, I ran into the English teacher, who is sort of my overseer. She said "So, I heard the party went well!" and I laughed. I asked her if she liked the school play (which was last night, but that's another story for another time) and she said it was probably the best play put on by students that she's seen. Then she told me that I'm the best exchange student the school has had, and that the other students "are very fond of me." That's probably the best compliment I've received the whole year I've been here. Today has been a very good day, so far.

This evening, I'll be having dinner with my first host family. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll be on a train to Rome!!

It's ironic that I'm finally having fun here, I'm making real friends, I have a life, and now I have to go home. Nearly the whole year, I've been looking forward to the day I would get on a plane to return to where I belong, and now I wish that day wouldn't come.

I'll be back Sunday, and I'll be sure to recount all the adventures I have in Rome!

No comments: