Sunday, September 9, 2007

Arriving Home





On Wednesday, September 5, I arrived at my new home in Italy. It's big, and kind of modern looking, most of it is black and white. My room is fantastic, with an entire wall of windows that open onto a little porch. I have my own bathroom, too.

What's better than the house is the family! When I arrived here, Camilla, my older sister, was vacationing in Sardinia, while my host father was away on buisness. My younger sister, Beatrice, had made plans to go to McDonald's to have dinner with her friends. I went with her, and sat at a table full of 4th graders. I enjoyed eating with them, they were fun and didn't mind my nonexistant Italian. One of the girls even spoke a little English with me, although she was very hesitant. They were all very much impressed that I have already seen High School Musical 2. It's kind of ironic that my first meal in Italy was at McDonald's, but it was a great way to get comfortable talking to people.

We came home, and I was allowed to go to bed. My host mom, Giovanna, kept me up till 10, because, as I understand, its easier to overcome jet lag if you just stay up late, and go to bed at the normal time in the new time zone. I slept like a rock, as you would imagine, and woke up earlyish the next morning. I met my host father, and breakfasted with my younger sister. Breakfast here is a cup of coffee and some kind of pastry. I eat the Torta Variegata, which is marbled break, almost like pound cake. It's delicious.

My host family is fantastic. They're all patient, nice, and a lot of fun! My host father is a talented musician, although he can't read music. He owns a fabric company, and speaks fluent English. My host mother stays at home, to take care of the family. She's a great cook, and is trying to learn English. My older sister lived in NYC for a year, so she's fluent in English, too. She's very helpful and loud, and reminds me a little of my brother Cam. My little sister doesn't speak English, which is great for me! She's fantastic at explaining Italian words, and is the most helpful in teaching me Italian. We play cards and carry on a little conversation, and she has no problem correcting my poor grammar. I'm really glad I'm here, with this family. They're the best!

No comments: