Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Milano



G

Saturday, my family took me to Milano. I saw all the sights, and had my first Italian pizza there! First, we went to the famous Galleria. My host father, who is rather fashionable, took me into the world's first Prada store, and he told me all about the history of the Galleria. My host mother bought a book on Milano in the Galleria, so that I could read all about the places we were going to see that day. My father said he would take a picture of my little sister and I, and he decided to try to capture the roof of the Galleria in the picture.. He ended up lying on the floor in front of the Prada store. It was like in the movies: everything around us stopped and stared. My sister and I couldn't control our laughter, but sadly, the picture didn't come out well.

After leaving the Galleria, we went into the Duomo, Milan's cathedral. My host mother was wearing a tank top, and they wouldn't let her in until she had covered her shoulders. The inside of the Duomo is stunning, but they don't allow pictures. After the Duomo, we went shopping, then had lunch. For lunch, I had my first Italian pizza! Pizza in Italy is very different from American Pizza. The crust is much thinner, and there is less sauce and cheese. Each pizza is meant to be for one person, but it's still quite big, about the size of a large dinner plate. After eating, we walked through the fashion streets, and went home. On the way home, a car cut us off while we were making a turn at an intersection. At the next light, my host father yelled some not so nice comments to the other driver, who then made a very rude hand gesture. The light turned green, and we proceeded, only to be stopped at the next intersection. Again, the other driver made a rude gesture, and my father was furious. He got out of the car, and so did the other driver. They stood in the middle of the street yelling obscenities in Italian, while my host mother and sister rolled their eyes. I found the whole thing rather comical. Think about it: two nicely dressed, middle aged/older gentleman standing in the middle of the street yelling at eachother! When the light turned green, my host father got back in the car, and drove away like nothing happened.

No comments: