Tuesday, January 22, 2008

And yet..

At least half of my class smokes.


"Smoking Kills"
Dinner this evening was the highlight of my day. Marco was still at work, Matteo was at Nonna's, and Luca was at pallamano (handball) practice, so it was just Chicca and I. We had spaghetti with some strange sauce, I think it was olives, capers, and sardines. It was really salty, but good. I've had a personal vendetta against spaghetti since I came to Italy. The Italians were raised with it, and thus have spaghetti-twirling skills. This host family eats spaghetti nearly every night, and while they're twirling away, I sit there, struggling to get the hanging noodles onto my fork. I'm glad to say, though, that practice does help! I finished my bowl of spaghetti just a few minutes after Chicca finished hers, and there wasn't one single time when I needed to slurp the last noodle!

After my successful pasta episode, there was a surprise. Instead of having meat, like we always do, we had cheese. Annie, the colf, brought out a plate of cheeses. I ate goat cheese, cheese with holes in it, and stinky French cheese. I decided to skip the fruit course, as I've eaten enough fruit today, and was going to excuse myself when Chicca reminded me there was gelato.
Chicca buys gelato once a month, and she told me that if I didn't eat one today, the boys would eat it all before I got any. So, I finished the meal American-style, with a sweet instead of a fruit. It felt right. I was raised having desert after every meal, and I've gotten semi used to being deprived of it, but tonight I was reminded of my old habits. I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Have a Happy Tuesday!

*Editor's note: Every time I hit enter to insert a space between paragraphs, it doesn't show up when I post. Anybody know how to fix that?

1 comment:

Daniel Miller said...

try < b r / > (without spaces) after each paragraph or enclose each paragraph in < p > < / p > tags. dunno. night.