Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sto volando, Jack!

Tonight, I had the pleasure of watching "Titanic" in Italian. It all started when Federica's parents went to Sidney..

I don't know about you guys, but when my parent's leave me home for a couple of days, I'm not supposed to have a bunch of people over. In Italy, parents feel different about that. On more than one occasion, I've heard of kids throwing parties when their parents go out of town. In fact, my host brother's did it last week, when the parents and I were in the mountains.

Well, a few days ago, I walked into the fourth year classroom, and a girl named Federica had written "Saturday night, parents gone. Pizza at my house, feel free to bring alcohol" on the board. Well, this should be interesting! I thought. Since I didn't have any other plans, and I figured it'd be fun to see some of my classmates outside of school, I decided to go.

The rest of the day was a bit of an adventure, too. I decided to skip the gym, and I went straight to nonna's house after school. We ate lunch together, watched some TV, and I spent a good chunk of the afternoon writing emails. At about 5, Chicca came to pick Luca and I up. She dropped me off in the city center, and she and Luca went to Luca's pallamano (hand ball) game. I walked around, stopped in the church for a few minutes, then began my quest for moisturizer. I read in one of my travel books that you have to go to the farmacia for stuff like moisturizer. There are three in center, and I surveyed them all before choosing the one that looked like it had the nicest people in it. I walked in, not entirely sure what to do. When one of the pharmacists asked if he could help me, I told him I had very dry skin, (actually, I couldn't remember the word for skin. I might have told him I have very dry fur, instead, but I'm not sure) and needed something extremely moisturizing. He asked me to wait a moment, so he could go get the doctor. What the heck? All I want is some uber-moisturizer, I don't need a doctor! An annoyed-looking woman came over and said "dimmi", which is the command form of the verb "to tell". I repeated myself, she sighed, walked over to a display counter, snatched a little box, scanned it, snapped "nineteen-fifty", and slapped the box on the counter. Gulp. Nineteen-fifty? This had better be some great moisturizer. I reluctantly paid, took my purchase, and walked out. I don't plan on going back there again.

Seeing as I still had some time to kill before Mass, I was cold, and my throat is scratchy, I decided tea would be a very good idea. I stopped in a bar and got some tea, drank it, felt better, and walked to the church in the town center. I'll take some pictures of the church someday, it's pretty impressive.

After Mass, I walked to the library, where Mari picked me up. We went to Federica's house together, and about 3 minutes after we got there, the other Federica showed up. Out of the whole class, the only people who could make it were Federica the hostess, the other Federica, Mari, Lucia, and I. We all walked to a pizzeria, ordered pizza to take back to the house, and waited outside the restaurant. We had fun, talking about school and other things, when one of our teachers walked into the restaurant. Even after she had passed, everyone spoke in whispers, which I found to be entertaining. Finally, the pizzas were ready, and we walked the 50 feet back to Federica's house. We ate, drank, and were merry. After the pizza, we decided to watch Titanic, which was fun too.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy myself, considering it's usually awkward when I go out with people from my school. This time, though, I had fun. I was able to actually add to the conversations, understand everything, and even crack a few jokes!

Here's a poor-quality picture of the group, waiting for the pizzas:

And Federica, Lucia, and Mari eating cookies that Federica made:


It was a long, enjoyable evening. Now, it's one thirty in the morning, and I'm going to bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.