Sunday, January 20, 2008

Well, It finally happened..

..I had an Italian meal that I didn't like.

Marco and Chicca had friends over for lunch today, so we had fancier food than we usually do. We had rice with seafood, which was good. It wasn't fantastic, like the meals here usually are, but it was good.

Then came the second course. Foie Gras. Foie gras with scampi and caramel sauce. Marco and Chicca's guests raved about it, and took second and third helpings, while Matteo and I moved on to salad.

For dinner, however, we had pasta with ricotta, which was delicious. Today, Luca tried making budino. Budino is an Italian dessert, somewhere between pudding and jell-o. Only, the instructions said to bring the mixture to a boil, then remove it from the heat. Luca brought it to a boil, then boiled it, then boiled it some more, until half of the mixture was on the stove, instead of in the pan.
The budino ended up being rather small, but still tasty. Luca was proud that he had successfully cooked something.

I had an enjoyable day today. I woke up at about 10:30, but had nothing of importance to do, so snoozed until noon. After finally getting out of bed, I gave my room a much-needed tidying, and got dressed. By then, it was lunch time, and we ate from 1:30 until 3. Not having anything to do, I called Julia, and we talked for a while. After I got off the phone with Julia, I called my mom. That conversation lasted a good two hours, and by then, my host brother's had gone out for aperitivi, so the computer was free. I checked my favorite blogs, read the news, and by then it was dinner. It was a very easy, lazy day, much needed after all of these changes!

*Editor's Note: The English teacher asked me a few days ago to name an Italian food I don't like. When I told her there wasn't one, she seemed content. In school the other day, I told her I had an Italian meal that I didn't care for, she said "Oh!? What is it?" After I told her I had foie gras, she waved her hand and said "That's not Italian! It's French!" So evidently, I still haven't had an Italian meal I don't like.

Tomorrow is Monday, and that means back to school. I hope everyone has a good week!

No comments: