Saturday, February 9, 2008

Ecco!

Attenzione: My time in Venice was spent wandering around aimlessly, without an Italian adult to explain to me the importance of monuments. Usually when I go sightseeing, I'm with my host father, or with someone from Rotary who explains interesting tidbits about everything. In Venice, I just took pictures of what I thought looked pretty.

This might be the grand canal. I'm not sure.

Somebody said this is the bridge of dreams or hopes or something..
Gondola!
Um, I think this is a hospital?
This is a church, I know that much!
The church in the main square in Venice. The piazza was packed!
Piazza-wide conga line!
On the island of Murano
This is the width of an average street in Venice

Somebody told me this was important. So I took a picture.
Cam!
Taylor doing his "Jack I'm flying!" impression
View of Venice's cemetery- taken from the boat
Man with molten glass. He made a cup out of that.
Kristen is happy because..
we got chips and salsa, along with our
BURRITOS!
The rest of the pictures can be seen by clicking here





3 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

Dori, loved the Venice photos. That bridge is The Bridge of Sighs (ponte dei sospiri) connecting the prisons with the interrogation room in Doge's Palace. The name was given by Lord Byron, and legend has it that it refers to the prisoners' last sigh as they viewed Venice for the last time before being imprisoned. (That's the romantic version, anyway. In fact, the bridge was built after, but legend still keeps Byron's name for the bridge alive!) And then there's another legend about kissing in a gondola while passing under the bridge...

Ciao, and God bless!

Maria (also Bia) said...

Ciao, Dori...it's me again. I wanted to tell you that I've posted a short video clip on my site about the differences between Italy and the rest of Europe. You may have seen it already, but if you haven't, you might really appreciate it since you might be able to identify with a few of the clips.

Also, my mother mentioned that the Armament Museum in Venice is very interesting. It highlights the vast history of when Venice was a naval power. I haven't been there, but I'll probably go next time since my boys would love to see some of the interesting boats/ships/gondolas they have on display.

Have a great day.

Maria (also Bia) said...

it's me again! no i don't mind if you link my post. it is an incredibily funny video...i'm anxious to hear what my Italian relatives have to say about it! Ciao!